I’m starting a new series called “Five Things Friday.” Each Friday, I’ll share links to five articles all curated around a theme. This week, all of the links will be related citrus trees. Growing them. Eating their fruit. The pests that bother them. Etc.
While I have your attention, I want to invite you to send in your own themed lists. Here’s the rules: (1) the list must revolve around some sort of container gardening theme, (2) each link must be to a different website, and (3) the list must contain one link to an article on LOTB. Sound like fun? Shoot me an email with your Five Things.
- How to Grow Citrus Trees in Containers – I have had several citrus trees, including blood oranges and tangerines. Though one of the professors that taught my master gardener class would disagree, they make great container plants. Here’s how to grow a little bit ‘o sunshine on your balcony or patio.
- Citrus-Pomegranate Quinoa Salad – One thing I like about this recipe is that it is healthy while still delicious. It’s also nice that it only calls for one orange, one lemon, and one lime. When you only have room for one tree of each variety, you might not have a ton of fruit all at once, so I’m always on the lookout for recipes that call for a small amount of the fruits and vegetables I like growing. Oh, and in case you didn’t know, “quinoa” is pronounced “keen-wah.”
- Lemon Chex Buddies – Much to my mom’s dismay, my favorite type of dessert usually involves lemons not chocolate, though I think they combine together fantastically. This is a sweet-sour take on chex party mix. Yum!
- Grow Citrus Trees as Houseplants – I didn’t know this was possible, but the folks at Fourwinds Growers say it is. Check it out if you want to have an indoor citrus tree.
- Citrus Pests – In this article, Arizona master gardeners introduce you to the pests you are most likely to encounter on your citrus tree. YUCK! But important to know about so you can take appropriate measures.